JAG

Does anyone else do this?

I go on food jags, where I literally eat the same thing every day. Sometimes more than once a day.

The jags have tiny story arcs within themselves, where I change up the ingredients a bit, due to availablity, and of course, all of the jags over time have a larger story arc that ties them all together.

In this case the overall story arc of my eating has been about baby spinach. I can't get enough of it.

In the past 2 months I have gone on two of these jags. They are as follows:

THE BABY SPINACH SALAD

This salad is made up of Baby Spinach (as I bet you already guessed by the title, clever, clever reader), gorgonzola cheese, sliced green apples (with lemon juice if I am packing the salad to go and I don't want the apples to brown), candied pecans and grilled chicken.

The variations? any kind of blue cheese is fine. Sometimes I put in candied walnuts instead of pecans, and if there are nice anjou pears at the grocery store or farmer's market, then those'll do.

THE QUESADILLA

A multi-grain tortilla with shredded mexican blend cheese, black beans and of course, the ever present louisiana hot sauce.

That's really just the foundation of the meal. Most of the ingredients I make ahead of time to have on hand. You've got to be prepared for a jag.

The black beans I cook on Sunday using the magic spice packets from Goya that my mother taught me about long, long ago. Goya is more of an east coast brand, but I finally found a store that sells them here. No more begging NY friends to send them to me! When I am making the beans, I also make a filling where I sautee red onions and add frozen shrimp, and another magic Goya spice packet. Last week I had Portobello mushrooms, and so I used those instead of shrimp for the filling.

If I have a pork loin in the freezer, I will slow cook it until the meat just falls apart, and keep the pulled pork on hand to add as well.

After I put all of the ingredients on the tortilla, I keep it spinning on the pan so it doesn't burn, and top everything off with leaves of baby spinach. They serve as a lid, keeping the heat in, and when I finally fold the tortilla in two, add a crunch to the whole thing.

Then of course, sour cream. Last week I accidently bought low fat instead of regular. Ew. I'll suffer through, don't worry about me. If I don't have sour cream, I add goat cheese.

God, now I'm hungry. What should I have for lunch... AHAHAHAHAAHAHAA! So funny, me.

4 Comments:

  1. Allen Lulu said...
    Is this ANOTHER blog???
    hmrpita said...
    *cough*
    Kristen is MERELY a CONTRIBUTOR.
    hmrpita said...
    Today is May 4. I am officially documenting the fact that I made a quesadilla (and by "a quesadilla" I mean "two quesadillas") for dinner last night for the first time in my life--which, as we have discussed, is a wonder in and of itself.
    Oh. It's Kristen Again. *sigh* said...
    welcome to my jag

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Kristen and Lenore: We Made This Blog So You Don't Have To.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without at least sending us a present first.